Doncaster, St George, South Yorkshire, *

“The huge structure which George Gilbert Scott gave Doncaster after the former church was burnt down in 1853 is unmissable. When seen from the railway or the encompassing motorways it rises over the town centre as majestic as any medieval predecessor…Scott was expected to reproduce the old Perpendicular tower and this he did. But for a mid-Victorian architect, to build the rest of the church in what was to him the debased late-Gothic style was too much. The rest of the church is therefore early Decorated, with Geometrical tracery in the windows.”

IMG_0184